Monday 10 June 2013

Dining Room Wall Art

I finally figured out a solution for my dining room art dilemma that I've been mulling over for some time now and am oh.so excited to share it with you today!

And can I just say that I am in L.O.V.E. Not the regular house love - like when you find a new area rug that fits just right {though I wish this would happen for me}, or a fabric you've been eyeing up for months goes on sale. Oh no. It's the can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over the fence, World Series kind of stuff! It Takes Two anyone? Or does that show my age in a less than flattering way? No matter. I am pumped about my little project! Ain't nothing going to break my stride! *Better? Worse?

Do you remember what we started with? Here is a quick review. *Get the entire run down here.

Original

Progress

And this is what they look like now:

Comin' at you live!

If that is not a dramatic transformation I don't know what is! The entire room feels different when you walk in now. As if it is all coming together - a sense of cohesion.


The process itself was simple. But not instantaneous success.

First the flowers and leaves needed to be dried - done by placing between pieces of parchment paper and applying weight {I used books}. Between Meema and I, the plants were gathered, pressed, and ready to go in a week or so. Then after an hour of tinkering back and forth with different layouts they were ready to be fastened up and hung. Any stems that went outside the mat were taped to secure the placement. The rest were arranged on the glass, covered by the background paper {which was taped}, and sealed in with the back of the frame.



It is a combination of texture, colour, and simplicity that brings the entire space together.

I am especially delighted with the way the plant colours compliment the roman blinds flanking either side. The dark leaves bring out the hints of deep brown and the pale grey background is a near dead-on match with a grey that once blended in. Now the blinds and wall art work together to bring that space to life.

Even meal times feel different. They are that much more relaxing - either because this little DIY is off of the to-do list or the simple, natural feel has a zen quality.

Either way, I think we have made it to the World Series as far as house love goes!And what about you? Are you loving your house these days? Any spot or project in particular? Dish!

Chat soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just love it Allison, turned out great, just pressed plants who would have thought....and I have more, something you can change up with the seasons as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS